We Will Help You Get Through This

We Can Help With Your Alimony-Maintenance Determination

Alimony, or spousal maintenance in Wisconsin, is an amount of money paid from one spouse to the other during and after a divorce. Unlike child support, there is no calculator and there is no set formula for m payments. Every case is unique and different. How much will be paid and how long it will be paid can vary, or it may not be ordered at all.

Spousal Maintenance Is Based On A Multi-Factor Test

Judges will consult a statutory list of 10 factors that cover a very broad spectrum of elements, such as the length of the marriage, the parties’ health, the property division, the educational levels, and earning capacity of the couple.

Which Factors Are Most Important For Your Case?

Generally, a spouse who has been married for many years, has handled the child-rearing duties and has not worked outside the home during that period is more likely to receive maintenance than a spouse married for a very short time and who has had a job during that period. But every case will be different and will depend on the specific details of each factor.

This Is Where An Experienced Attorney Can Help

At Thelen & Associates, LLC, our attorneys have a great deal of experience helping clients with their spousal maintenance issues. We will work with you to create evidence-based, factual arguments for every element of a spousal support claim. Because of the exceedingly broad discretion offered to a judge in deciding this issue, it is critical that you have compelling arguments for your case.

In addition, our lawyers represent clients with post-judgment actions involving support such as:

  • Defense against contempt actions
  • Modification of support
  • Enforcement of support, including filing for unpaid maintenance

Contact Our Firm

We can help you understand this process and protect your rights. Call our Waukesha office at 262-955-8241 or use our online form to request an appointment with an experienced alimony lawyer.